123 Citroen Badge
Founded in by Andre-Gustav Citroen 1919 as an armaments, but post WW1 demand ceased and production moved to automobiles. Citroen became the first massed production automobile factory outside the USA and within eight years had become the 4th largest car manufacturer in the world. in 1924 they produced Europe's first all steel bodied car. From 1924-34 the Eiffel Tower in Paris was illuminated with a giant Citroen slogan. In 1934 Citroen produced the innovative Traction Avant claimed to be the world's first mass produced front wheel drive car and also one of the first cars produced with a monocoque body. In 1955 its replacement the DS became perhaps Europe's first production car with disc brakes and in 1967 introduced swivelling head lights.
The costs of developing such an innovative car as the Traction Avant had severely strained the companies resources and in 1934 were forced to file for bankruptcy. Their largest creditors Michelin took over the company with Pierre Michelin taking over as chairman.
Andre Citroen died of cancer one year later in 1935.
During WW2, developments continued on what was to become the 2CV, launched in Paris in 1948. 1955 saw the introduction of the equally legendary DS developed with the aid of the then ground baking wind tunnel.
Citroen were restructured in 1968 under new holding company Citroen SA and long term controlling shareholder Michelin sold a 49% stake in the company to Fiat.
Fiat withdrew and returned its 49% stake to Michelin and Citroen declared bankruptcy in 1973.
In 1974 Peugeot purchased 38.2% of the company and reconstruction included the sale of Citroen owned Maserati and De Tomaso. In 1976 the takeover was completed with Peugeot now holding 90% of Citroen shares and the joint holdings were combined as PSA Peugeot Citroen.
The design of the badge dates back to a trip the 22 year old Andre Citroen took to Poland, where he discovered an innovative design for for a Chevron shaped gear used in milling. He bought the patent for its application in steel. Mechanically a gear with helical teeth produces an axial force. By adding a second helical gear in opposition this force is cancelled. The two chevrons of the logo represent the inter-meshing contact of the two
Shot at The Enfield Pagaent 29.05.2011 Ref 69-123
Please don't forget to click on the flag