Nestlé's factory at Hayes, Middlesex
"Hayes Cocoa" was the name the factory was known as by the canal boatmen who once delivered cargoes of coal from the Warwickshire coalfields until the factory switched to oil-fired boilers in 1959. The canal wharf is on the opposite side of the building.
A Wallis Gilbert creation, this block is framed with trees and set back behind lawns with massive railings and gates imported from the Company's main works in Switzerland. Wallis, Gilbert and Partners were responsible for the design of many Art Deco buildings in the inter-war period, their best known creations being the Hoover Factory on Western Avenue, Perivale (1931-1938), and the Victoria Coach Station (1931-32).