from the 'waymarking' website:
Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour is an icon in the Oklahoma City area. Anthony J. Kaiser came here from Switzerland in 1909, with 50 cents in his pocket, a 3-qt. ice cream freezer, and a head full of family recipes - or so the story goes. After opening a confectionery shop elsewhere, he moved his business to this location in 1919.
Throughout the decades, ice cream was made here, first with hand-cranked freezers until electricity made the job easier. Ice cream was made with rock salt and ice and was hand-packed in 36 flavors. Nothing but pure ingredients were used - no extracts or substitutions. Exotic ice cream, ices, punches and frozen puddings were their specialty. And beautiful ice sculptures made from hundreds of molds were ordered by the citizens of Oklahoma City. Their products were so pure that hospitals locally and beyond ordered their ice cream, including Johns Hopkins Hospital which was known to order from Kaiser's.
The Kaiser family operated here with its homemade, hand-packed ice cream until 1977, at which time it was purchased by another ice cream worshiper who kept the operation going untouched until 1990. After sitting vacant, it was reopened as the Grateful Bean in 1994. That business is gone now, and it is now operated as the Kaiser American Bistro, carrying on the ice cream parlour history, with the addition to sandwiches, soup and salads.