BOOTS. COMMERCIAL RD. THE SQUARE. BOURNEMOUTH. DORSET. DECEMBER 2008
By 1850 the town's first shops had begun to appear here at the foot of Poole Hill on the Poole Rd, later renamed Commercial Rd.
Prior to this provisions had to be brought in from the neighbouring towns of Christchurch and Poole for the well heeled residents and their servants, who occupied the large villas and hotels that were springing up amongst the pines around the mouth of the Bourne stream.
Drapers, grocers, chemists, butchers, dairy shops and fruiterers were amongst those trading from the early premises.
One of the early buildings here was Waterloo House that underwent a bit of a facelift to become Woolworths in 1915.
Rebuilt around 1930, the premises were severely damaged during an air raid in WW2 with these replacement premises opening in the 1950s.
This branch of Woolworths closed in 1983 and became a branch of Boots.