Luke hauler, Dinwoodie's tram near Erua
Thomas Dinwoodie milled a block in State Forest 42 just north of the Makatote Stream from 1934 to 1940. The Dinwoodie Timber Company's assets were disposed of in a liquidation sale held on the site on 17 January 1941. Perham Larsen and Co, one of the Carter companies, considered taking over the area, but decided it wasn't an economic proposition. An adjacent area was earlier milled by the Karioi Sawmilling Co, set up in their wives names by three members of the Pedersen family after their Mangawhero Sawmilling Co collapsed. After their Erua venture collapsed they moved to a block at Puketitiri, near Hastings. They left a damaged Luke hauler behind -- perhaps this is it and Dinwoodie managed to get some more use out of it.
When selling the timber in SF 42, the Forest Service reserved a 15 chain strip of native bush along the road for scenic purposes. After the area was cut over, the Forest Service replanted much of it in Lawson's Cypress and Red Cedar.