Cheltenham: Public Library
Situated in Clarence St the Public Library was constructed in 1887-9 by architects Knight & Chatters. Stone, a very eclectic design with enriched Jacobethan detail, flanked by a tower with a lead ogee crown. 3+3+3 bays, pedimented centre above the recessed Ionic entrance. The building originally included schools of Science and Art, vacated for the museum in 1907. The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire 2, D.Verey & A.Brooks, revised ed. 2002).