6 Heck-Andrews House Roof
[One of 7 images on the Heck-Andrews House] This is a creative commons image, which you may freely use by linking to this page. Please respect the photographer and his work.
“Among the first grand residences built in Raleigh after the Civil War, the Heck-Andrews House set the tone for the subsequent development of North Blount Street as an enclave of the well-to-do.” [www.nps.gov/nr/travel/raleigh/hec.htm] Contracted in 1869 by Jonathan Heck and finished in 1870, the house was designed by George S. H. Applegate (1831-1880) and constructed by John A. Waddell (1826-1883) of the firm of Wilson & Waddell. Heck, a Confederate officer in the Civil War, had been captured but paroled. His consequent fortune was made by manufacturing armaments for the Confederacy. “Life at the house was opulent and active. Photographs show the interior lavishly decorated in the style of the day, with heavy draperies, lace curtains, mahogany furniture and plush carpets.” [www.nps.gov/nr/travel/raleigh/hec.htm]
Jonathan Heck died in 1894 and his wife Mattie deeded the house to a daughter in 1916. In 1921 Raleigh attorney A. N. Andrews, Jr. acquired the property. After his death in 1946, the house went through a time of deterioration. In 1987 the state of North Carolina acquired majority interest in the building, completely refurbishing the exterior. Adaptive use had been planned for the interior, and I assume these plans have been realized.
A classic wood Second Empire-style mansion with blue and red trim, the Heck-Andrews House is marked by a tall 4-story front tower with convex mansard roof, 4 circular windows with decorated molding, and a balustrade at the top. Slate alternating rectangular with fish-scale shapes covers the tower. Dormers are the dominant feature of the structure’s concave mansard roof, the arched windows separated by exaggerated brackets and capped with wide pedimented hoods. Throughout the facade, the windows are slightly arched and have ornamental surrounds. A pediment is located just above the second level. Pairs of thick millwork brackets distinguish the overhang. The windows on the first level are taller than elsewhere, all with decorative surrounds of pale blue.
The bracketed porch roof mimics the concave aspect of the mansard roof, momentarily presenting an almost Oriental appearance. It uses the rectangular and fish-scale slate pattern of the main roof. Four steps lead upward to the porch leading to the entry with wooden door and heavily ornamented glass. A low porch railing of millwork is broken up by elaborately detailed posts set on decorated bases. Bay windows are prominent on the sides. At the rear right side is another porch and entry, utilizing the same patterns as the front porch but not as elaborately done.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 20 January 1972, NRHP #72001000.
1) National Register— www.nps.gov/nr/travel/raleigh/hec.htm
2) George S. H. Appleget— ncarchitects.lib.ncsu.edu/people/P000005
3) John A. Waddell— ncarchitects.lib.ncsu.edu/people/P000007
4) WRAL-TV (1999)— www.wral.com/news/local/story/137795/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License