Hagar Qim, Neolithic Temple; Malta
The temple of Hagar Qim, excavated for the first time in 1839, dates from the Ggantija phase (c. 3600 - 3200 BC). It stands on a hilltop overlooking the sea and the islet of Fifla and lies some 2km south-west of the village of Qrendi. The surrounding area, which is typical of Mediterranean garigue and spectacular in its starkness and isolation, is designated a Heritage Park.
Much of interest has been unearthed at Hagar Qim, notably a decorated pillar altar, two table-altars and some of the `fat lady' statues on display in the National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta.
Hagar Qim itself consists of a single temple unit. However, it is not clear if it was originally constructed as a four- or five-apse structure. Other temple ruins stand a few metres away from the main temple.