Chapel of Ease, St. Helena. #5
This image © Colin J Clarke 2009 All Rights Reserved
Hasselblad 503CW, Zeiss Distagon CF FLE 1:4.0 f=50mm, Kodak BW400CN
Chapels of Ease were constructed by rice and cotton planters as houses of worship because their plantations were located so far from the churches in Beaufort. This tabby walled church was constructed between 1742 and 1747 for the planters of St. Helena Island. A forest fire destroyed most of it in 1886. Traditional 'tabby', used for construction primarily along the coast, is composed of equal parts lime, water, sand, oyster shells, and ash.