Island of Mackinaw, Lake Huron (1837)
This view shows Fort Mackinac (Mackinac Island, Michigan) as it appeared in 1837. Originally built in 1780 by the British and held through the Revolutionary War, the fort was handed over to the United States in 1796 as part of the Treaty of Paris. It was captured by the British in June of 1812.
This piece, entitled "Island of Mackinaw", is from page 22 of Anna Jameson's sketch book, donated to the library by the Bain family in 2000.
Creator: Anna Brownell Jameson, 1794-1860
Rights: Public domain
Courtesy: Toronto Public Library.
More information: View more images by Anna Jameson