Old Street station is a London Underground and National Rail station located at the junction of Old Street and City Road just north of the City of London. It lies on the border between the boroughs of Islington and Hackney, but is located completely within the former.
The station is on the Bank branch of London Underground's Northern Line, between Moorgate and Angel stations. It is also between Moorgate and Essex Road stations on National Rail's Northern City Line, operated by First Capital Connect.
The station was originally opened in November 1901 by the first deep-level tube railway, the City & South London Railway, as part of an extension of its line from Moorgate to Angel. The Northern City Line platforms were opened in February 1904 by the Great Northern & City Railway which built its tunnels to a larger diameter capable of accommodating main line trains in the hope of carrying trains from its northern terminus at the Great Northern Railway's Finsbury Park station to Moorgate.
Between 1967 and 1969 the station was once again modified, the surface building was replaced with the current sub-surface structure situated in the centre of the roundabout.