West Tanfield, St Nicholas's Parish Church, Marmion Tomb
Tomb commemorating Sir John Marmion who died in 1387, and Lady Elizabeth Marmion who died in 1400.
John Marmion was a knight who died without issue fighting in Spain under his overlord John of Gaunt, Earl of Richmond. Elizabeth Marmion (nee St Quintin) may have lived in the Marmion Tower (next to the church) after the death of her husband, using it as a 'lady castle' or dower house.
The tomb, which is of Derbyshire alabaster, holds effigies of Sir John and Lady Marmion. The knight wears plate armour typical of the fourteenth century. His feet rest upon a lion and his head upon a tilting helmet. Encircling the neck is a Lancastrian collar of 'SS', a decoration instituted by Henry IV. The lady's head rests upon cushions supported by angels. Her feet rest upon a hound. Embroidered on the kirtle are the armorial ensigns of the Marmion and St Quintin families.
The wrought-iron hearse has prickets for candles which it was customary to light on certain occasions. It is believed to be the only one of its kind in England.
(text taken from information board in church)