St Giles' Church Chesterton, Warwickshire - Peyto chest-tomb, children
St Giles' Church, Chesterton, Warwickshire.
St Giles' Church is in a remote setting, some way from the village of Chesterton in Warwickshire. The church was founded in the eleventh century by Richard the Forester; during the reign of King Richard II the church was presented to the Barons of Kenilworth by Willam Croc; and by 1693 it was under the Cathedral Church of Lichfield.
St Giles, its patron saint, is the patron saint of beggars, lepers and the disabled. His feast day is 1st September.
The church is built in the Perpendicular style, in Northampton stone and limestone. The crenellated parapet on the chancel was added by the Peyto family. The Peyto family reputedly came over with William the Conqueror, and since the mid-fourteenth century much of the village was in the possession of the Peyto family.
Inside the church is a magnificent memorial to Humphrey and Ann Peyto, with the sculpted figures of this children lined up above the recumbent parents.
Above the porch is a sundial, with the motto "See and be gone about your business".
In the wall surrounding the churchyard is the Peyto Gate, used by the Peyto family to access the church from the mansion nearby.