Beverley St Mary's Church - misericord wildman hunting fox with ape
The Church of St Mary in Beverley was founded in 1120, possibly by Archbishop Thurstan of York who had also been provost of Beverley Minster. Building work continued in various stages until the end of the fifteenth century. The west front, built between 1380 and 1411, is a good example of fourteenth-century stonework and may have influenced the construction of King's College Chapel, Cambridge, more than half a century later. The central tower collapsed on Sunday 29th 1520, killing several people, and had to be rebuilt. In the Middle Ages, St Mary's was the favoured church of many of the craft guilds in the town, and was regarded as the parish church of Beverley. During the Civil War all the stained glass and tomb brasses were destroyed or removed. The church was completely restored in the Victorian era by Augustus Pugin and his son E Welby, and Sir George Gilbert Scott.
The choir stalls, made from oak and dating from 1445, have 28 carved misericords under the tip-up seats. These are a good example of the early work of the Ripon School of Carvers.
In this misericord, a wildman or woodwo (left) has shot a fox (centre) with a bow and arrow. It is holding out a bag of money to an ape (right) which is chained up. The ape is holding a flask of urine, the sign of the medical profession - and so intended as a satire of the medical profession.