A cherub (Hebrew כרוב) is a supernatural creature from the Old Testament. They are often depicted as angels who look like children with wings.
This one overlooks a grave at the Home of Peace Jewish Cemetery in Santa Cruz, established in 1876 by the local Hebrew Benevolent Society. The first Jewish settlers in Santa Cruz migrated from Russian-occupied Poland shortly after the height of the California Gold Rush of 1849.
The cemetery is not widely known locally, and is hidden off of a side street not far from UCSC. A few years ago, vandals destroyed many of the historic headstones.
This is my Photo Friday for 12/16/05: "Depth of Field"
This photo is in 14 groups
- Graveyard Groupies (THE flickr Necropolis) 13,344 items
- Angels-just plain angels 9,289 items
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,205,925 items
- Art of Photography - The Eye of the Beholder! 175,179 items
- Bokeh Galore (No BOrders) 196,111 items
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 127,582 items