A cherub (Hebrew כרוב) is a supernatural creature from the Old Testament. They are often depicted as angels who look like children with wings.
This one overlooks a grave at the Home of Peace Jewish Cemetery in Santa Cruz, established in 1876 by the local Hebrew Benevolent Society. The first Jewish settlers in Santa Cruz migrated from Russian-occupied Poland shortly after the height of the California Gold Rush of 1849.
The cemetery is not widely known locally, and is hidden off of a side street not far from UCSC. A few years ago, vandals destroyed many of the historic headstones.
This is my Photo Friday for 12/16/05: "Depth of Field"
This photo is in 14 groups
- Graveyard Groupies (THE flickr Necropolis) 13,513 items
- Angels-just plain angels 9,209 items
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,192,073 items
- Art of Photography - The Eye of the Beholder! 171,860 items
- Bokeh Galore (No BOrders) 194,394 items
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 126,214 items