new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
BNS ARTEVELDE | by TimWebb
Back to photostream

BNS ARTEVELDE

M907 Artevelde was built by Tacoma , Washington and launched in 1954 (ex USN AM 503, ex USN MSO 503) and was acquired 1955 and decommissioned 1985

The following notes were taken from the 1981 Chatham Navy Day Program

BNS ARTEVELDE was one of seven ocean minesweepers transferred from the United States Navy to the Belgian Navy in the mid 1950's. Today the ARTEVELDE'S primary role is that of fishery protection, patrolling the Belgian coastline, boarding trawlers and fishing boats to ensure EEC and national regulations are kept. Minesweeping equipment is kept on board to fulfil the ship's original role, and an American sonar, gives the ship her mine hunting capability. Two 800 horse power General Motors Diesel Engines produce a maximum speed of 13 knots. With a quick conversion the ARTEVELDE can also be used as a Minelayer or a Diving Support ship. Most recently, anti-pollution equipment has been fitted and at short notice the ship can be used to aid in the dispersion of oil or chemical spillage in the North Sea.

At the end of the Second World War, the first two ships of the re-formed Belgian Navy were named BREYDEL and ARTEVELDE. These were support ships transferred from the Belgian Section of the Royal Navy.

The present ARTEVELDE is so named in honour of the re-birth of the Belgian Navy. It is appropriate that the name ARTEVELDE comes from Jacob van Artevelde, who was responsible for re-establishing the vital wool trade with England in 1338 after the 100 years war.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photographed 24 May 1981 at Chatham Navy Day

1,291 views
1 fave
0 comments
Taken on May 24, 1981