The old Park Hotel
Located on a small hill, the red-brick building overlooks Preston railway station, Miller Park and the River Ribble. In its heyday, the hotel was connected to the southern end of the main south-bound platform (the modern-day platform 4) at Preston station by a covered footbridge. Opened in 1882 – a Guild Year – the hotel cost £40,000 to build.
It was owned and operated jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and London and North Western Railway.
Various pre-1923 objects from the hotel are in the National Railway Museum at York. These include Mappin & Webb cutlery and Elkington & Co. tableware and candlesticks, the latter marked with the initials "P.P." and a lamb and flag, the coat of arms of the city.
We found an alternative view!