1 o'clock gun at Edinburgh Castle at 13.00 hours. Scotland
Fired almost every day since 1861, it is a tradition remaining from the days when it was a time signal for ships in the Firth of Forth and the port of Leith.
- The One o’clock Gun was first fired from the Castle on 7 June 1861, and has continued ever since, six days a week, except during the two World Wars.
- The Gun is timed to coincide perfectly with the Time-Ball, a large white ball which is raised above the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill, and drops at exactly 1300 hours.
- Together, the One o’clock Gun and the Time-Ball provide a time signal for shipping in the Firth of Forth and the Port of Leith.
- The gun was originally a 64-pounder cannon mounted on the Half-Moon Battery. It is now a 105mm field gun, fired manually by the District Gunner from the Mills Mount Battery.