E_23 College Hill - The Fleur-de-Lys Building (1885) - 7 Thomas Street
The Fleur-de-lys building was built in 1885 by renowned artist Sydney Burleigh and architect Edmund Wilson. It is now owned by, and part of the Providence Art Club, and serves as studios.
In H. P. Lovecraft's "The Call of Cthulhu," young Henry Anthony Wilcox, who had been studying sculpture at the Rhode Island School of Design, and making a singular clay bas-relief "in a dream of strange cities" while living alone at the Fleur-de-Lys Building at 7 Thomas Street, finds that the conservative Providence Art Club finds him quite hopeless.
Photo taken by Will Hart on 18-August-1990.
See and hear more Lovecraftian Items at the sister sites to these Flickr collections at: