E_36A College Hill - The Salomon Center (1989) - 69-91 Waterman Street and Sayles Hall (1881) - 79-81 Waterman Street - Main Green - Brown University
The Richard and Edna Salomon Center for Teaching, commonly known as, The Salomon Center, dedicated on 6-May, 1989, contains a main auditorium for 576 persons on the first level, and another auditorium beneath it, which can hold 220. The center also contains four smaller classrooms.
It now covers most of the space originally occupied by Rogers Hall (1862), which became a large entrance lobby connected to the Salomon Center.
The Salomon Center was designed by Goody, Clancy and Associates of Boston in a style to match the facade of the old Rogers Hall.
Salomon's five-million-dollar Center was supposed to be an anonymous gift to Brown University, but in the end, he was persuaded by the then President of Brown University, Howard Robert Swearer (d. 1991), to allow it to be named for himself and his wife Edna. Since Salomon was one of the principal benefactors of the University, it was only fitting that he and his wife be honored in this way.
Richard D. Salomon passed away in 1994, followed by his Wife Edna Barnes Salomon in 2001.
Sayles Hall is a memorial to William Clark Sayles, donated by his father, William F. Sayles, in memory of his son who died on 13-February, 1876, before he could graduate from Brown University.
The Hall contains classrooms and one of the largest gathering spaces on campus. The ceiling rises two stories above the ground level; and the hall is used for performances, lectures, and social events. There are even midnight concerts at several times throughout the year, during which the University Organist performs on the hall's Hutchings-Votey organ; which is the largest remaining organ of this type in the world.
Photo taken by Will Hart on 18-August-1990.
See and hear more Lovecraftian Items at the sister sites to these Flickr collections at: