Ca. 1979: Reserve training vessel HMAS GAYUNDAH [II] at Williamstown, Seaward Defence Boat alongside - HMAS CERBERUS Museum.
2424. Built by Johnson's Tyne Foundry in Melbourne in 1944-45, but re-commissioned in 1966, the 300 ton, 120ft Motor Refrigeration Lighter MRL 253 first gave post-WWII service at HMAS TARANGAU, the base at tiny Los Negros in Manus Island's Seeadler Harbour. She was subsequently given the name HMAS GAYUNDAH in 1969 while serving as a naval reserve training vessel at the HMAS MORETON naval depot in Brisbane [where that name, meaning 'Lightning,' was first carried by the Queensland colonial gunboat GAYUNDAH].
In the 1970s HMAS GAYUNDAH [II] carried the training vessel hull letters TV282 seen here , and in May 1979 moved to Melbourne where she was made the permanent reserve training vessel for that Port Division at HMAS LONSDALE [ now gone]. The 'permanent' meant two years when she was listed for disposal in 1981.
In February 1982, GAYUNDAH [II] was acquired by HMAS CERBERUS, the Flinders Naval Depot, as an alongside training aid.
The location of the above photograph gave pause for thought, but because of the ship construction alongside the photostream's editors have concluded it can only be at Williamstown, circa 1979-1981.
We would very much like to be able to identify the Fairmile B launch, or Seaward Defence Boat [SBD] as they became known after WWII, alongside, but there is no hull number or distiguishing feature to go by. Maybe Fairmile B model specialist Roger Pearson will come by and help us with that - we'll ask, and hopefully edit a name in. We're pretty sure that Roger will know this boat.
Photo: HMAS CERBERUS Museum Archives, kind courtesy of the Curator, Warrant Officer Martin Grogan RANR. Thanks also to Toni Munday of the CrestCerberus organisation for assistance.