1940s: Melbourne Harbour Trust sand dredge PIONEER - Robert Winduss Collection.
934. Seen here in the mouth of Melbourne's Yarra River, with the impressive old Newport Power Station in the background, this 541 ton steam-driven sand dredge exudes confidence and purpose.
PIONEER was built in Glasgow for the Victorian Board of Works in 1906. She was scuttled in the Victorian Ships Graveyard in Bass Strait, off Port Phillip Heads, on March 9, 1950, in 50m of water.
Photo: Robert Winduss Collection, it appears on the Shipspotting website, and is reproduced here with Rob's permission.