Ca. 1941: WWII auxiliary HMAS KOROWA, Reid Street Pier, Williamstown - AWM, NHSA.
26. Built in Selby, Yorkshire in 1919, this 324 ton trawler was acquired by Red Funnel Fisheries Ltd of Sydney, one of several of that company's vessels to be requisitioned and fitted out as a RAN auxiliary mioneseeper in 1939.
She is seen here at the minesweeper dock at the Reid Street pier, with oil storage tanks long since gone [thanks to Peter Williams of the HMAS CASTLEMAINE Trust for that information. For some years we thought this site was the Gellibrand Pier, or Railway Pier as it was once known, where similarly-placed oil storage tanks exist now].
KOROWA served throughout WW11, mainly from Melbourne and with Minesweeping Group 66 in Fremantle. Returned to her owners, she was scrapped in 1954.
Photo: Naval Historical Collection, Australia War Memorial No 300914. Listed copyright expired - public domain. It appears on the Naval Historical Society of Australia 'Warships of the Past and Present' two disc set compiled by Graeme Andrews; in the RAN Historical Section's Heritage Collection, Image ID. NO. 00727; in Vic Cassells's book 'For Those in Peril' [Kangaroo press, Sydney 1995] p178; and several other sources.