flickr-free-ic3d pan white

LEGO Köf

Well, it's finally finished! For those of you attending Brickworld this year in June, this is exactly how you'll see it.

 

Description (From RAILBRICKS):

 

On the 12th January 1956 the LEGO® company

made it’s initial expansion outside Denmark by

opening their first foreign sales wing, LEGO®

Spielwaren GmbH. Spielwaren was run by Axel

Thomsen, who was already a toy manufacturer.

The new company was based in an old railway

hotel in Hohenwestedt, Schleswig-Holstein,

Germany. The company’s aim was to expand the

sales of LEGO® in Germany.

From 1956 until 1963 LEGO®’s series of H0 scale

cars, trees and signs were produced in a small

factory in Hohenwestedt. Over the years the

Hohenwestedt site also grew to become a major

distribution centre.

By Tim David

The factory and warehouses were situated just

east of the railway station on the line between

Heide and Neumünster so it was logical that it

was rail served and in December 1987 a small

shunting (switching) locomotive was purchased

to work the factory sidings.

Kleinlokomotivs

From the 1930s the Deutsche Reichsbahn

introduced small locomotives for use at stations

and goods depots. They were specifically

designed to be driven by shunting staff rather

than higher paid fully qualified drivers and were

also small enough to be loaded onto a flat truck

for movement around the rail network. After

some experimentation two diesel designs were

standardised upon, with differing power ratings.

The class letter K was used to identify them,

followed by a letter indicating the type of engine,

ö for diesel (Öl, i.e. oil). The next letter was the

type of transmission: f for hydraulic transmission

(Flüssigkeitsgetriebe) The four digit numbers

signified the power range, those up to 40 HP

(29 kW) were numbered in the range 0-3999

and while those in above 40 HP were 4000 and

higher.

The locos were originally restricted to 30km/h

because they were only braked by the driver’s

weight on the foot pedal. Many were later fitted

with air brakes and the top speed raised to

45km/h.

LEGO®’s Köf II

LEGO®’s Köf was built by Deutz in 1950 for the

West German railways; Deutche Bundesbahn

(DB) and became their number 6140, signifying

that it was in the higher power range and was

thus a Köf II.

It was painted in the standard scheme of black

under-frame and dark red cab and hood. In 1968

it was renumbered to 321151-3 in line with DB’s

new computerised numbering scheme. In 1973

it was fitted with air brakes and renumbered

again to 324057-9. It was used mainly in the Köln

area.

In 1987 it became surplus to requirements and

was withdrawn. It was purchased by LEGO®

Gmbh, repainted yellow and black and moved

to Hohenwestedt. A LEGO® logo was applied to

each cab and a smaller one on each side of the

nose.

It stayed in Hohenwestedt for the next 15 years,

shunting the vans of LEGO® products around the

site to the various loading bays.

After LEGO®

In 2002 the need for a locomotive diminished

and it was sold to the railway equipment

dealer Mathias Bootz of Bad Nauheim. The

Hohenwestedt site closed entirely at the end of

2005 and the operation was transferred to the

Czech Republic.

After a couple of months at Bootz’s the Köf was

purchased by the railfreight vehicle hire company

VTG Lehnkering AG who sent it to their wagon

workshop in Syke-Barrien. For a while it kept its

yellow colours with the LEGO® logos removed,

however by 2004 it had acquired a bright red

hood with black detailing and by 2006 the whole

loco was bright red with a black under-frame.

In 2004 the loco reverted to its DB number of

324057-9.

 

*To see the article, check out RAILBRICKS issue 8*

15,981 views
31 faves
16 comments
Taken on May 4, 2011