new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Ballyadams Castle 2 | by backpackphotography
Back to photostream

Ballyadams Castle 2

15th century tower house with a 17th century 3-storey fortified house behind it.

Nice rounded towers.

 

Interesting history if you're interested (form megalithicireland.com):

 

In 1534 the castle was taken by the Geraldines during the rebellion of Thomas Fitzgerald, 10th Earl of Kildare, AKA Silken Thomas. In 1546 the Lord Deputy and the Earl of Desmond led a large army into Laois and took Ballyadams Castle. The brutal John Thomas Bowen, AKA John of the Pike because he always carried a pike, took possession of the castle in 1551. He was succeeded by his son Robert in 1569. A monument in the old church of Ballyadams was erected in 1631 in the memory of Robert. Katherine Bowen, who married Pierce Butler from Tipperary, was granted the castle in 1700. The Butlers stopped living in the castle after an attack by insurgents in 1798. The present owner David Butler is a direct descendant of Pierce Butler.

 

more here:

homepage.eircom.net/~walkingways/lochist.html

186 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on December 23, 2014