Raindrops on Roses; Rosary Walk, Loreto College - Sturt Street, Ballarat
Loreto College Ballarat, a Catholic school for girls was established in 1875 by Mother Gonzaga Barry (1834 – 1915) a member of the order of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary whose members are commonly known as the Sisters of Loreto; a courageous woman with a truly visionary approach that saw her create educational opportunities for girls never before considered in the society of that day. The Loreto Sisters arrived in Australia in response to a request by the Bishop of Ballarat, Bishop O'Connell. The group of ten sisters from Ireland, led by Mother Gonzaga Barry, set up a convent in Ballarat, Victoria and their first girls school, known as Mary's Mount, which today is known as Loreto College.
To the left of the entrance gates is the Rosary Way. This is a walk to be taken whilst saying the prayers of the Rosary. The walk is dotted with beautiful standard rose bushes, including this yellow one, displaying the last of the autumn blooms. The Loreto College Rosary way is modelled on the Rosary Way in the Aylesford Priory Gardens in Kent. At the end of the Rosary Way is the Lourdes Grotto, built in commemoration of the grotto in Lourdes where Our lady of Lourdes appeared to Bernadette Soubirous in 1858. This is the second Lourdes Grotto, the first more elaborate two storey structure having been moved to make way for the Children’s Chapel. The Lourdes Grotto contains a small stone from Lourdes brought back by Mother Gorzaga Barry from her journey to Europe in 1894.