new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Oregon City Schoolhouse | by www78
Back to photostream

Oregon City Schoolhouse

Upon hearing about the California Gold Rush, a large emigrant party of Oregonians from the Willamette Valley took the Siskiyou Trail down to this spot near the Feather River. It had a large population by 1850, but had mostly disappeared by 1855. The schoolhouse seen here was built in 1877, ran until the 1960s and is now an occasionally opened museum.

 

The leader of the Oregon Emigrants was Peter Burnett, raised in Missouri, who had already been involved defending Mormons during their migration, and a legislator and justice in Oregon most noted for his laws expelling all African-Americans from the territory. In California he became rich selling lots in Sacramento, saw the California Constitutional Convention in Monterey, and became the first (and only) Provisional Governor of California Territory. Less than a year later, California became a state and Burnett became the first (Anglo) Governor of California.

 

Burnett's popularity quickly nosedived over his conflicts with the legislature over incorporating Sacramento and Los Angeles, excluding blacks from the state, and the putative 1850 Foreign Miners Tax. Stymied by the legislature, Burnett resigned in disgust.

 

Oregon City, Butte County, is to be distinguished from the Calaveras County ghost town of Campo Seco, which had historically also been named Oregon City.

Oregon City, California

364 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on November 7, 2015