Graz, Estiria (Austria); (el arte de las fachadas de Graz), Hauptplatz (main square) - Rathaus, Ayundamiento, Town Council, Mairie, Municipalità, Rada gminy (Welterbe/World Heritage/Patrimoine Mondial/Patrimonio Mundial)
1 The City Hall of Graz The Renaissance building from 1550 was replaced at the beginning of the 19th century by a classicist construction. Its present form the Town Hall got after a reconstruction between 1889 and 1893 in which it obtained its late historicist facade design. The Town Hall is the seat of Graz City Government.
1 Grazer Rathaus Der Renaissancebau aus dem Jahr 1550 wurde am Beginn des 19. Jahrhunderts durch einen klassizistischen Bau ersetzt. Seine heutige Form erhielt das Rathaus nach einem Umbau zwischen 1889 und 1893, bei dem es seine späthistoristische Fassadengestaltung erhielt. Das Rathaus ist Sitz der Grazer Stadtregierung.
(a lot more pictures you can see by clicking on the link at the end of page!)
Graz's main square towards Sack street
The main square is a place in the first Grazer municipality of Innere Stadt. From it branch off the Spor alley, the street of the Lords, the Schmied alley, the Mur alley and the Sack street.
1160 was the Graz main square by Duke Otakar III laid out as a central marketplace. It is therefore historically and as regards urban development the most important square layout of the city. Forming the historic center of Graz, the trapezoidal main square previously reached to present Landhaus alley. Only around 1550 its surface due to the new building of the Town Hall in the Renaissance style was almost halved. The houses that surround the place have a medieval to late Gothic building core. Especially the facades, partly late Gothic, Baroque, Biedermeier and late historicist design characterize the look of the square. Also preserved are at some houses elaborate stucco decorations and Marie sculptures, bearing witness of piety of the people.
In 1878, the Archduke Johann fountain monument was erected in the middle of the square. Through redesign of the town hall 1887-1893 the main square got a "new monumental accent". Originally was located at the confluence of the Main square into Sack street the by Emperor Leopold I in gratitude for the overcome plague donated Trinity Column. Due to the changed traffic situation, the column had to be relocated to Carmelites square.
In addition to the Jakomini square, the Main square is the only other place in Graz which is approached by all tramlines. Around the Archduke Johann Fountain are several booths, preserving the square its original character as a medieval marketplace. The area between fountain and Town hall is often used for events.
In its original designation, the complex was called "On the Place". Only in 1665 appears for the first time the name "Main square" in the chronicles. Because of the in Town Hall located Hauptwache (main police station), the square in the 19th century was also called "Hauptwach place". From 1870 until the annexation of Austria in 1938 and since the end of World War II until the present it bears again the name of "Hauptplatz". Between 1938 and 1945, it was still listening to the name "Adolf Hitler Square".