new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Wien, 10. Bezirk, Kirche St. Johann der Evangelist, la chiesa di Giovanni apostolo ed evangelista, la iglesia de Juan el Evangelista, l'église de Jean (apôtre), church of John the Evangelist, Jan Ewangelista (Keplerplatz) | by El Don Quijote de Viena
Back to photostream

Wien, 10. Bezirk, Kirche St. Johann der Evangelist, la chiesa di Giovanni apostolo ed evangelista, la iglesia de Juan el Evangelista, l'église de Jean (apôtre), church of John the Evangelist, Jan Ewangelista (Keplerplatz)

Parish Church of St John the Evangelist

(You can see the picture by clicking at the end of the side!)

The parish church of St. John the Evangelist (John Church) in the 10th District of Vienna, Favoriten, is a Roman Catholic parish church. Due to its location on the road favorites (Favoritenstraße) and the subsequent Gudrunstraße/Keplerplatz it is colloquially known as "Kepler Church". Coincidentally, the patronal feast, the day of John the Evangelist falls (December 27), on the birthday of Johannes Kepler.

History

St. John's Church was the first church in the 19th Century that was built in the initially as a suburb of Vienna emergend Favoriten, only the churches of later incorporated places Oberlaa and Unterlaa older. At that time, recorded the in 1850 (on a smaller scale than today) incorporated, since 1861 along the Laxenburg road (Laxenburgstraße) between 4 (east) and 5 (west) and divided and 1874 as a new 10th District district constituted by the influx of workers, including the so-called brick Bohemians www.habsburger.net/en/chapter/brick-bohemians-wienerberg-..., a rapid population growth. 1872, the foundation stone was laid and the by the architect Hermann Bergmann built Church by Archbishop Kutschker in 1876 consecrated.

The church is a three-aisled basilica, which was built in the Neo-Renaissance style. It is 52 meters long, the nave is 18 meters high, the two towers with pyramidal roof are each 50 meters high.

For around 25 years, the St. John's Church was the only church in Favoriten, the parish area temporarily enclosed about up to 100,000 Catholics. Only in 1902 the (larger) St. Anton church was consecrated as a second church in the district.

The church was also on public transport most easily accessible: In Favoritenstraße was the from the State Opera running and then here in 1978 by the U1 replaced tram number 67 or 167 as a north-south connection, in the Gudrunstraße to 1969 the tram line 6 as East-West connection, which was then replaced in this section by bus 14A.

By all around hitting shells and bombs St. John's Church was 1944/1945 heavily damaged in World War II. In the following years, the renovation was done. As part of the metro construction in the 1970s (Kepler space station opened in 1978), the park around the church was redesigned.

Located just behind the church with the address of the Kepler space 6 is the in the last decades of the 19th Century in facing brick style erected church parsonage, flanked by a part of the building of the Municipal District Office (No 5) and an urban school ( No. 7).

Equipment

View of the Organ

The organ was built in 1968 by the organ builder Rudolf Novak. The instrument has 28 stops on two manuals and pedal. The play and Registertrakturen (stop actions) are electro-pneumatic.

I Hauptwerk C-g3

1 Quintatön 16 '

2 Principal 8 '

3 Gemshorn 8 '

4 Covered 8 '

5 Octave 4 '

6 Reed flute 4 '

7 Quinte 22/3 '

8 Superoktav 2 '

9 Mixture 2 '

10th Trumpet 8 '

II Brustwerk C-g3

11th Italian Principal 8 '

12th Reed flute 8 '

13th Salicional 8 '

14th Principal 4 '

15th Flute 4 '

16th Sesquialtera 22/3 '

17th Schwiegel 2 '

18th Quinte 11/3 '

19th Cymbals 1 '

20th Oboe 8 '

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johannes_Evangelist_(Wien)

451 views
2 faves
1 comment
Taken on January 8, 2019