Station Masters House, Scarcliffe Railway Station
The former Station Masters House at Scarcliffe Railway Station.
This was part of the former Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway which was opened on the 8th March 1897.
The scheme was conceived by William Arkwright and other Victorian planners to connect and develop the great coal fields of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.
The station, along with the rest of the LD&EC was closed on the 3rd December 1951.
The closure of the line was caused by Bolsover tunnel being deemed unsafe due to subsidence caused by the very collieries that the line was originally built to serve.
This is an excellent piece about the history and final days of the station;