new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Trinidad in 1797 | by Angelo Bissessarsingh
Back to photostream

Trinidad in 1797

This map was originally made by the Spaniards shortly before the British Conquest of 1797 and then subsequently updated by Capt. Frederick Mallet of the Royal Surveyors. It shows clearly the old Spanish Royal Road, portions of which still exist in San Fernando, and of course, the Eastern Main Road. It also shows (Amer) Indian footpaths which themselves became roads, like the one north of Savanna Grande which became the Guarcara-Tabaquite rd. Not also the two 'islands' off Naparima which were actually mudflats visible at low tide. The surviving Indian Missions of Siparia, Montserrat (Mayo) and Savanna Grande (Princes Town) are also marked

3,188 views
1 fave
2 comments
Taken on June 18, 2010