Wasn't expecting to get a cathedral in Southwark when we got off the tube at London Bridge.
Near the Borough Market is Southwark Cathedral.
It is the oldest Gothic church in London. Rebuilt in 1212 after fire damaged the Norman church.
In 1539 after the dissolution of the monastery it went from a Priory Church to a Parish Church.
Southwark Cathedral or The Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie, Southwark, London, lies on the south bank of the River Thames close to London Bridge.
It is the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark. It has been a place of Christian worship for over 1,000 years, but a cathedral only since 1905. The present building is mainly Gothic, from 1220 to 1420, although the nave is a nineteenth-century reconstruction in a thirteenth-century style.
Remarkably the main railway viaduct connecting London Bridge station to Blackfriars, Cannon Street and Charing Cross stations passes only 18 metres from the south-east corner of the cathedral, blocking the view from the south side. This was a compromise when the railway was extended along this viaduct in 1852; the alternative was to demolish the building completely to allow a more direct passage for the line. Borough Market is immediately to its south and the Hall of the Worshipful Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass is on the riverside part of Montague Close on its north.
It is Grade I listed.
TQ3280SE CATHEDRAL STREET
636-1/17/188 (East side)
02/03/50 Cathedral Church of St Saviour and
St Mary Overie (Southwark Cathedral)
Medieval Augustinian priory of St Mary Overie; Anglican
cathedral since 1905. C12 church damaged by fire 1212 and
rebuilt from 1220. East front, choir and retrochoir 1214-1260.
Choir ceiling and tower pinnacles by George Gwilt Jnr.
1818-27; transepts altered 1830 by Robert Wallace. Nave
replaced in 1839-40 by Henry Rose and again in 1890-97 by Sir
Arthur Blomfield in C13 style.
MATERIALS: knapped flint with stone dressing; tower and
transepts of ashlar.
PLAN: cruciform with central crossing (north and south
transepts with central tower); 7-bay nave, 5-bay presbytery,
3-bay ambulatory at east end.
EXTERIOR: lower stage of tower C14 (attributed to Henry
Yvele); 2 upper stages of the tower, C14-C15, each with
2-light transomed windows on each face. Early C19 pinnacles by
Gwilt. 5-bay E arm with clerestory, E window and flying
buttresses to E arm, Gwilt rebuilding of C14 additions.
Remains of C12 church in north wall of N transept. Main
entrance is the south-west door.
Tower of the cathedral.