West India Quay - Canary Wharf - Museum of London Docklands - boats
This area is or was the West India Quay.
Boats near the Museum of London Docklands.
788/25/860 WEST INDIA DOCK ROAD E14
19-JUL-50 WAREHOUSES AND GENERAL OFFICES AT WEST
ERN END OF NORTH QUAY
The warehouses and general offices lie at the western end of North Quay, West India Dock Road. Originally forming part of a range of nine warehouses divided by single-storey link buildings, formerly over half a mile in length, built 1800-4. The original scheme had a 'low warehouse' at west and east ends and in the centre, with 'high warehouses' in between; the 'low warehouses' were raised two storeys in 1827 by John Rennie, bringing their cornices in line with those of the high warehouses. Nos 1 and 2 Warehouses are the only survivors; the rest was destroyed by bombing in World War II. The architects of the scheme were George Gwilt & Son.
Warehouses: Stock brick with Portland stone dressings, the northern elevations of the warehouse in cheaper plum brick. Main blocks of five storeys and attic with semi-basement below quay level. Stone cornices and blocking course. Triple span, hipped slate roof. Top storeys have semi-circular windows. Stone string courses. The lower link buildings have walls curving inwards and stone capped buttresses. No. 2 Warehouse was built between 1800 and 1802 and is the earliest multi-storey warehouse to remain intact in the Port of London; the contractors were Messrs Adams & Robertson. The cast-iron stanchions supporting the timber floors date from 1813-18 and are the earliest remaining in a London multi-storey warehouse. They were installed to increase load capacity, replacing oak storey-posts. No. 2 Warehouse was converted 1998-2000 as a mixture of apartments, restaurants and shops by FSP Architects for the developers Manhattan Loft. No. 1 Warehouse was built between 1802 and 1804; the contractors were Fentiman, Loat & Fentiman. Originally a 'low warehouse' it was raised in height in 1827. Interior badly damaged by fire in 1901; the warehouse was restored almost as original immediately afterwards. No. 1 Warehouse was converted to become the Museum in Docklands, which opened in 2003. The architects were Purcell Miller Tritton and Partners.
Dock Office: built against the buttressed boundary wall of the Import Dock, these were constructed in 1803-4 and remodelled as a ledger office in 1827 by Rennie. Stock brick, main southern elevation of two storeys with tetrastyle Doric portico complete with triglyph frieze and mutule cornice. Western elevation with curved walls, stone coped parapet and supporting buttresses, one of which carries a chimney. Door approached by steps with wrought iron handrails. Architrave surround, double panelled doors and flat bracketed hood above. To north, two round, and three round-arched, windows; to south two later windows.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Warehouses and General Offices, North Quay, West India Dock Road, are designated at Grade I for the following principal reasons:
* Fine Georgian warehouses and offices; No. 2 Warehouse is the earliest remaining multi-storey warehouse in the Port of London.
* Group Value with a number of other structures built as part of the exceptionally important West India Import Dock
* Strong connection with the British slave trade adds to historical interest of buildings, the warehouses having been built for the express purpose of receiving goods produced by slaves on West Indian plantations. This amendment is written in 2007, the bicentenary year of the 1807 Abolition Act.