Black Country Living Museum - Steep cobbled path, Animal Trap Works and Brockmoor Carters
This is the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley, West Midlands.
The museum was established in 1975, and the first buildings moved here in 1976. Since then a 26 acre site has been developed, with the unique conditions of living and working in the Black Country from the mid 19th century to early 20th century.
It is off Tipton Road in Dudley.
This is Brockmoor Carters.
Horses provided the key to transport in the Black Country well into the twentieth century. They were used as draught animals to haul narrow boats loaded with goods on the canals, drag heavy coal carts and pull trams, carriages, milk floats, delivery wagons and fire engines.
Heavy horses, usually shires, like William at the Museum, were used for haulage in heavy industry. But the majority of work was done using ‘half leg’ or short legged shire cross breed horses to pull smaller two wheeled carts and canal boats as they were lighter to handle and cheaper to feed.
Trade horses were kept in fairly humble quarters in yards like this one across the Black Country.
The yard contains a stable which was carefully dismantled and moved from Ogley Hay Road at Burntwood in Cannock on the northern edge of the Black Country where it was built around 1900.
The stable fittings were donated from a stable in Handsworth Wood Road, Birmingham. The combined office and harness room are copied from buildings found in Netherton and a small feed store and simple corrugated iron lean-to cart shed complete the authentic assemblage of buildings in the yard.
On the gate it says Hauliers to John Folkes Lye Forge (Est. 1699)
Path to the right to Dudley Canal Trust Boat Trips
We never got to go down there as we decided to head through the last section of the village, then went around the Canal Arm instead.
Up ahead is a steep cobbled path.
Wheel chair on left.
Also the Darby Hand Chapel.
Up here is the Animal Trap Works.
Sidebotham’s Trap Works, originally constructed in Wednesfield, near Wolverhampton in 1913, is a typical example of a small purpose built factory of the period.
Wednesfield was a major centre for the manufacture and worldwide export of small animal traps. The stencils hanging from the Belfast Truss roof were used to label the packing cases with destinations of ports in Australia, Africa, South America and many other far-flung destinations.
The stamping, pressing and punching machines are driven by lineshafting from a single cylinder gas engine of 1906, built by Tangye’s of Smethwick.
The forge hearth was used to make the springs which operated the traps and parts were assembled on benches using the hand-operated fly presses, before being painted or ‘blacked’ in tanks by the canalside wall and packed for delivery.