The Minories - refurbishment plaque
Inside The Minories is this plaque marking when the refurbishment of The Minories finished in October 1994.
It was refurbished by Richardson Barberry Properties Limited. Opened by the then Lord Mayor of Birmingham Richard Knowles.
This is the Minories building in Birmingham from Old Square.
It used to be the Lewis's Department store. It was built above a road way also called The Minories.
It is now home to several small shops and on the ground floor fronting Corporation Street is owned by The Square Peg, a popular bar.
It opened in 1885 on Corporation Street, by a personal suggestion by Joseph Chamberlain.
It dates from 1924 - 25 and was also designed by Gerald de Courcy Fraser of Liverpool.
Another block behind of 1931 - 32 , linked by bridges across the narrow Minories. The result is a huge but chaste and carefully proportioned classical block. The sides on Bull Street and Old Square, articulated by fluted Doric columns (restored 1993). Impressive spatial effect in the Minories which was originally open. Between the entrance bridges with paired columns and lintels in a deep narrow canyon. Built over in 1971, reopened and glazed in by Peter Hing & Jones in the 1993 conversion to offices and courts. Tactful extra storey all round.
Above information from Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster.