Kiftsgate Court, Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire - Fountain
This is Kiftsgate Court in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire. It is south west from Stratford-upon-Avon.
We came here for an afternoon in the gardens (Kiftsgate Court Gardens).
This is the late 19th century manor house.
After a rainy day before I was glad we got out, on what turned out to be a lovely warm afternoon.
The house is not viewable to the general public (it is still lived in by the owners, who maintain the garden.
A history of Kiftsgate Court www.kiftsgate.co.uk/history.shtml
Kiftsgate Court was built in 1887-91 by Sydney Graves Hamilton who owned the large manor house in Mickleton, An ancestor of his, Walwyn Graves (1744-1813), had built a Georgian front with a high portico on to Mickleton Manor, and it was this facade which was moved bodily up to the new site on Glyde Hill to become Kiftsgate Court. A special light railway was constructed up the elm avenue to do this and the records state that it was 'all to be done in the best manner possible and none but the very best material used'. Unfortunately a large Victorian back was built behind the Georgian facade.
It is a Grade II listed building.
Facade Kiftsgate Court. Late C18. Remainder of house was built in
a Cl7 style between 1887-91, and is not of listable quality.
Facade built for Walwyn Graves (born 1744, died 1813). Ashlar
garden facade, extending around gable end of projecting wing, left,
along right wall of wing, then at right angles along rear of main
body of house projecting forwards slightly at centre continuing
around its right gable end. 2 storeys with piano nobile. Gable
end of projecting wing left comprises single storey portico
supported by 8 Ionic columns, at front, with one single and one
engaged column to either side. Stone balustrade links the columns,
broken for access at sides. Parapet over portico. Twin gabled,
gable end behind portico with moulded eaves cornice with dentil
decoration and string which continue around right wall and across
facade of main body. Two, 2-light sashes with horns with moulded
architraves to first floor 4 similar windows to first floor along
right wall of wing. Former pedimented doorway in right wall of
wing, towards gable end, comprising 6-pane, C20 door flanked by
engaged Ionic columns with 6-pane sash windows to either side,
flanked by Ionic pilasters. Lower part of doorway blocked.
Similar doorway and door towards right, in gable end, with 2-light
stone mullioned casement to left, part glazed C20 plank door far
left. Windows across main facade of right wing 2:2:2 with moulded
architraves splayed at bottom with flat lintels with cushion
mouldings moulded windows flanking central glazed ground floor door
with keystones. Continuous string, forms sill of upper windows.
All windows 2-pane sashes with horns. Rusticated ground floor with
pedimented, projecting central portico above. Pediment supported
by 6 Ionic columns at front with single free-standing columns at
either side running back to Ionic pilasters, all linked by a stone
balustrade. Central first floor doorway from portico with lugged
architrave and triangular pediment supported on long, thin
decorated brackets over. C20 glazed door within. History: the
facade, built for Walwyn Graves (died 1813) was previously attached
to Middleton Manor and was moved up hill from there by Sydney
Graves Hamilton who built Kiftsgate Court 1887-91 (q.v.).
A fountain water feature with lovely sculpture around the basin.