The Church of St Mary Magdalene, Sandringham - door
This is the famous church at Sandringham, where the Queen and the royal family go to on Christmas Day each year. They walk from Sandringham House, through the gates to here.
There was a lot of tourists here, some also taking photos of it.
Door on the right.
The Church of St Mary Magdalene is a Grade II* listed building.
Parish church, medieval, restored by S.S. Teulon 1855 and A. Blomfield 1890.
Dark shell carstone with stone dressings, tiled roof. West tower, nave,
chancel and south porch; additions of south transept, north aisle and organ
bay, vestibule to south chancel. Tower with stepped diagonal buttresses,
embattled parapet with carstone flushwork, crocketted finials, gargoyle to
south; polygonal turret to south-east; west window of 3 lights with panel
tracery under basket head, retangular sound holes, segmental headed
traceried double square bell openings and clock face of 1898 to all 4 faces.
C15 2 storeyed porch with diagonal buttresses, 4-centred arch with round
shafts part renewed, carstone flushwork to either side, central tall niche
above with ogee head, flanking trefoil headed lights; single trefoil headed
lights to porch returns. Porch interior: roof renewed, floor to upper
storey lost, reset marble slab now mural with brass arms and inscription
to Wm. Cobbis, 1546; south doorway with continuous moulded 4-centred arch.
South nave window of 3 lights with panel tracery under 4-centred head.
South transept of 1890 with similar window reset, both with figure stops;
C19 2-light window with panel tracery to east of transept. South chancel
with C19 single light with tracery of 2 daggers. Vestibule c1896 across
priests door, in carstone with stone embattled parapet, 2-light window to
left, door to right, vestibule the private entrance of H.M. Queen. C19 set
back angle buttresses to chancel, 3-light window with panel tracery, 1909.
C19 additions to north: vestry with embattled parapet, 2-bay north aisle
with 2 gables and window as south aisle, gabled organ bay with blocked
doorway, all with diagonal buttresses. C19 gable crosses to porch, chancel
and nave. Interior: arch braced nave roof with angel corbels, gilded
bosses and quatrefoil frieze of 1921; continuous 4-centred arches to 2 bay
north arcade and to south transept of 1890; arch in north aisle between
bays; chamfered chancel arch with polygonal jambs, painted hammerbeam chancel
roof of 1890; tall tower arch with continuous roll and wave mouldings;
panelling to nave, C15 style painted panelling to chancel with Gothick
canopies and saints of 1920, panelling to tower with gilded frieze and
angels. C15 glass of saints in tracery panels of south window and north
west window of aisle, some C17 glass in north aisle. Silver reredos of 1911
showing the Appearance of the Risen Christ inscribed "IN MEMORY OF EDWARD
VII THE PEACEMAKER", silver altar of 1920 incorporating the Royal achievement;
metal rails with silver angels; Wineglass pulpit of 1924 with silver panels;
10 relief rondels around walls depicting members of the Royal family from
Princess Alice 1879 to King George VI in bronze 1952. P. Ashton: A Guide
to Church of St. Mary Magdelene, Sandringham, 1957 Pitkin Pictorial.