new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Staple Inn, High Holborn, City of London | by ell brown
Back to photostream

Staple Inn, High Holborn, City of London

Buildings and monuments down High Holborn, at the beginning of the City of London.

 

Buildings and monuments down High Holborn, at the beginning of the City of London.

 

On High Holborn this is or was the Staple Inn. It is the last surviving Inn of Chancery. It is used as the London offices of the Institute of Actuaries.

 

It was originally attached to the Gray's Inn, which is one of the four Inns of Court.

 

The Inns of Chancery fell into decay in the 19th century. All of them were disolved, and most were demolished. The Staple Inn is the only one which survived mostly intact.

 

The Staple Inn dates from 1585. It survived the Great Fire of London, and it was damaged during bombing in the Second World War, but it was later restored.

 

It has a distinctive timber-framed facade, cruck roof and internal courtyard.

 

The historic interior includes a Great Hall. Most of the building is used by the Institute of Actuaries. The ground floor street frontage is let to shops and restaurants.

 

This part of the Staple Inn is 337 and 338 High Holborn. (on the right where Shervingtons: The Tobacco Shoppe is)

 

It is a Grade II* listed building. It dates from around 1586 for Vincent Engham, Principal of the Inn. In 1886 Alfred Woodhouse removed post-medieval additions, in a restoration funded by the Prudential Assurance Company. The structure was largely rebuilt in facsimile in 1954-55 by Sir Edward Maufe.

 

With 1-4 Holborn Bars these buildings form a unique example in London of 16th century group of timber-framed houses.

 

337 and 338 High Holborn - Heritage Gateway

 

1 - 4 Holborn Bars is a four chambered building with shops. It also dates from 1586. Same restoration as 337-338 High Holborn.

 

1 - 4 Holborn Bars - Heritage Gateway

 

1 - 4 Holborn Bars is Grade I listed.

5,348 views
3 faves
4 comments
Taken on October 17, 2009