new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Turner Violins - former Lloyds Bank and former Deritend Free Library | by ell brown
Back to photostream

Turner Violins - former Lloyds Bank and former Deritend Free Library

A former bank and free library on Heath Mill Lane in Digbeth. Now a violin shop called Turner Violins. Over the road from The Old Crown, quite near The Custard Factory.

 

Locally they are Grade A listed buildings (in Birmingham).

 

Built 1866, restored 2002.

 

Former Public Library of 1866 by Bateman & Corser. A very ecclesiastical Gothic design. Red brick with a little blue diapering, stone dressings and three-light Perp windows. Two gables to the street, the taller with two steps interrupted by a brick rectangle, rebuilt during repairs of 2003 by Bryant Priest Newman. Inside, four-centred-arched arcades, also Perp, and a complex roof.

 

From Pesvner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster

 

On the corner of High Street, Deritend, Gibb Street , and Heath Mill Lane a former Lloyds Bank of 1874-5 by J.A. Chatwin. Domestic Gothic with power: a chunky stepped-up-and-down cornice and a four-lancet window pushed into the gable. Parapet with beasties at the ends.

 

From Pesvner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster

2,953 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on October 10, 2009