Palais Bourbon - National Assembly of France - Pont de la Concorde - Eiffel Tower
going past the Assemblee Nationale / Palais Bourbon / Hotel de Lassay building again.
Also you can see the Eiffel Tower next to the National Assembly Palais Bourbon, and below it the Pont de la Concorde
This is the Palais Bourbon - National Assembly of France.
It is on Quay d'Orsay on the banks of the River Seine.
The National Assembly (Frech: Assemblée Nationale) is the lower house of the bicameral Parliament of France, the other house is the Senate of France. The National Assembly consists of 577 members known as députés (deputies), each elected by a single-member constituency. Deputies are elected in each constituency through a two-rounds system. 289 seats are required for a majority.
The official seat of the National Assembly is the Palais Bourbon, the Assembly also uses other neighbouring buildings. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palais_Bourbon
Official website of the Assembly: www.assemblee-nationale.fr/english/index.asp
The Palais Bourbon, a palace located on the left bank of the Seine, across from the Place de la Concorde, Paris (which is on the right bank), is the seat of the French National Assembly, the lower legislative chamber of the French government.
The palace was originally built for the legitimised daughter of Louis XIV and Françoise-Athénaïs, marquise de Montespan - Louise-Françoise de Bourbon, duchesse de Bourbon, to a design by the Italian architect Lorenzo Giardini, approved by Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Giardini oversaw the actual construction from 1722 until his death in 1724, after which Jacques Gabriel took over, assisted by L'Assurance and other designers, until its completion in 1728.
Rather than a palace, for it was not a royal seat of power, the French termed it a maison de plaisance overlooking the Seine, facing the Tuileries to the east and the developing Champs-Élysées on the west. At the start it was composed of a principal block with simple wings ending in matching pavilions. Bosquets of trees—planted in orderly rank and file—and parterres separated it from the nearby Hôtel de Lassay. In 1756 Louis XV bought it for the Crown, then sold it to the grandson of the Duchess, Louis Joseph, Prince of Condé, for whom Jacques-Germain Soufflot directed an enlargement in 1765.
During the revolution
During the French Revolution the Palais Bourbon was nationalized, and the Council of the Five Hundred met in the palace from 1798. Then, as part of Napoleon's plans for a more monumental Paris, Fontanes, the president of the Corps législatif as it was now called, commissioned the magnificent pedimented portico by architect Bernard Poyet, added to the front of the Palais that faces the Place de la Concorde from the south. It mirrors the similar classicizing portico of the Madeleine, visible at the far end of the rue Royale.
In a symptom of the political tone of the Bourbon Restoration, the returning exile, the prince de Condé took possession, and rented to the Chamber of Deputies a large part of the palace. The palace was bought outright from his heir in 1827, for 5,250,000 francs . The Chamber of Deputies was then able to undertake major work, better suiting the chamber, rearrangement of access corridors and adjoining rooms, installation of the library in a suitable setting, where the decoration and one of the salons were entrusted to Delacroix, later a Deputy himself. The pediment was re-sculpted by French artist Jean-Pierre Cortot.
The Chamber of Deputies elected in 1846 was abruptly disbanded by the February Revolution, which oversaw an unprecedented direct election by universal suffrage to convene a Constituent Assembly that was followed by a National Legislative Assembly in 1849. (See also French demonstration of 15 May 1848.)
An iron tower built in 1889 by French architect Gustave Eiffel as the main attraction of the universal exposition, which marked the centennial of the French Revolution. It was supposed to be torn down after a few years but it was saved by it's popularity and after it was useful as a communications tower. Now it is an iconic symbol of France. It is 324 metres high, featuring three floors. To ascend the tower, you must take the lift (Up to the first and second floors. to get to the summit, you must take a separate lift on the second floor.) or the stairs (up to the first and second floors only.)