Marche Aux Legumes - Place Billard, Chartres
As we continued to walk to Rue des Changes, we passed these market shelters. It is in Place Billard. The site of the Castle of Chartres.
From 960 the site was a castle. By 1552 there was a jail and courthouse on this site. After the French Revolution ended, in 1800 (during the Consulate) the castle started to get demolished. It was fully gone by 1817.
The buyer of the site Vincent Chevard Mayor of Chartres, donated the site to the city, yet it was named after one of his successors, Billard, which was given instead and created!
It became a vegetable market. Since 1830, gardeners petitioned for the construction of a pool hall that was completed in 1898.