Selwyn House, The Close, Lichfield
Selwyn House is east of Lichfield Cathedral. It was built in 1780 by a canon.
Selwyn House is Grade II listed.
SK1109NE THE CLOSE
1094-1/5/225 (East side)
05/02/52 Selwyn House
(Formerly Listed as:
House occupied by the Lichfield
House, now flats. c1780, enlarged early C19. Brick with ashlar
dressings, part painted; hipped slate roof.
3 storeys with basement; symmetrical 5-window range; central
full-height canted bay has windows to front only. 1st floor
sill band and top cornice and locking course.
Round-headed entrance has pilasters, entablature blocks and
pediment, fanlight and fluted frieze over 6-fielded-panel
door. Windows haves sills, and rubbed brick flat arches with
keys, over 12-pane sashes to ground floor, 6/9-pane sashes to
1st floor, but that to right of bay has 18-pane sash, over
9-pane sashes to 2nd floor, though central window has 6-pane
sash. Basement has iron area railings and bull's eyes to cants
of bay, one with entrance beneath.
Left return has basement and ground floor projection with
entrance to basement, mostly 12-pane sashes and balcony with
lattice balustrade and supports to swept roof with shaped
frieze, and French window; lateral stack. Right return has
basement and ground floor projection and projecting lateral
Rear has 2 large brick offset buttresses framing projecting
left half; ground floor has balcony as above; windows mostly
with 9-pane or 12-pane sashes.
The house is built on the side of the medieval moat and closes
the view at the east end of the close.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.65).
Listing NGR: SK1166009810