The Eagle - 10 Eagle Parade, Buxton - pub sign
The area near the Buxton Museum & Art Gallery.
From Terrace Road.
The Eagle on Eagle Parade at no 10.
Grade II listed.
SK0573SE EAGLE PARADE
616-1/4/57 (West side)
25/01/51 Nos.8 AND 9
Eagle Hotel, Geo E Bryant and Sons
Ltd and Market Place Arcade
(Formerly Listed as:
Eagle Hotel. Premises occupied as
Formerly known as: The Devonshire Arms MARKET PLACE.
Formerly known as: Eagle and Child MARKET PLACE.
Coaching Inn now public house, shops and flats. 1760, on site
of earlier building, for the 5th Duke of Devonshire, extended
c1780-1790, converted late C20. Ashlar gritstone and coursed
dressed gritstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs
with coped gables and kneelers plus stone stacks.
PLAN: original right-hand block later extended to left under
same roof line and with rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 4 and 3 storeys with attic. Main front has 9 windows
arranged 4:5. Central bay projects slightly with rusticated
pilaster strips. Central doorway with C20 door and glazed
overlight in moulded ashlar surround with console brackets
supporting pediment. 2/2 sashes to each floor above in moulded
surrounds, smaller 3/3 sashes to third floor. 4 storey wing to
right has 4 2/2 sashes to each floor, those to third floor
smaller 3/3 sashes. Beyond to right another pedimented
doorway. To left, 3 storey wing has tripartite C20 shopfront
with above 4 tall glazing bar sash type windows in ashlar
surrounds, above 4 smaller similar windows linked by a sill
Left return has single glazing bar sash type window to left on
lower floors, with 3 similar windows on third floor and 2
smaller windows to garret. Set-back to left 3 storey 5 window
wing with projecting C20 entrance to Market Place Arcade, with
beyond a 2 storey canted bay window and then 2 glazing bar
sash type windows. Above 4 similar windows flanking upper bay,
with 5 smaller similar windows above.
Projecting wing to left has single window to ground floor of
right return, and smaller window to top floor. Single storey
wing beyond with glazing bar windows.
INTERIOR: of earlier block has crude re-used timbers to one of
rear rooms. Stairs now rise from rear of left-hand entrance
hall, rising back over the hallway, with wreathed handrail and
shaped strings. Cellar.
The later block contains large stair well with wreathed
handrail to ground floor, variously moulded handrails to upper
floors with rectangular iron balusters. 1st floor with
panelled surrounds to windows and 3 doors have deep panelled
architraves. There are ornate plaster consoles, recesses and a
corner fireplace. Boxed beams. 2nd floor with deep panelled
doorways. Queen post roof construction to partitioned attic.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 113).
Listing NGR: SK0577673268
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.