1898 seven room Victorian, Denton, Texas
In February, 1998, the City of Denton announced an auction for the house that is now the Bayless-Selby House Museum. Mildred Hawk of Denton, a member of the Denton County Historical Commission, was the successful bidder. In April, Mrs. Hawk gave the house to the Historical Commission for restoration as a museum. In June, the house was moved to its present location on site in the newly-created Historical Park of Denton County, just a glimpse away from the historic Downtown Denton. Restoration took just over three years, and the house was opened as the Bayless-Selby House Museum September 29, 2001.
Who were the Bayless and Selby families?
Samuel A. Bayless and his wife, Mollie, came from Monroe County, Tennessee. Samuel purchased a two-roomed farmhouse, located at what we now know as 1301 Myrtle Street, Denton in 1884. That farmhouse is the one-story part of the museum. Samuel contracted to construct the two-story part of the house in 1898. It is in a very popular style from the late 19th century known as Queen Anne. Samuel died in 1919, and Mrs. Bayless chose not to continue to live in the house. Instead, she arranged with a neighboring nursery man, Mr. R. L. Selby, Sr. to exchange houses with her, and she and her family moved out of the house to enable the Selby family to move in on Thanksgiving Day. The Selby Family has continued their nursery business, and to this day, the Selby greenhouses are still located near the Myrtle Street address. The house remained in the Selby family until 1970.