HISTORY OF MARY ALLEN SEMINARY:
In 1886, the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the United States founded the seminary as an all-black girls school in Crockett, Texas. The preparatory school later expanded to a junior college, and ultimately to a four-liberal arts college in 1944. Sadly, it closed altogether in 1972. Mary Allen Hall (above), which was the first building completed, is itself the only remaining vestige of what once was a beautiful twelve-building campus.