John Tams Pottery
John Tams was born in Stafford Street, Longton in 1837. In around 1865, John Tams entered into partnership with William Lowe, manufacturing in St. Gregory's Pottery, High Street, Longton. In 1873 this partnership was dissolved and in 1874 John Tams bought the Crown pottery, on the corner of Commerce Street and High Street in Longton. At first he specialised in the manufacture of imperial measured ware, mugs, jugs, etc., for hotels and public houses. The increasing use of glass and further government regulations forced him to develop new lines of production, including ornamental and general earthenware. The company continued to trade until Feb 2000 when it became Tams Group Ltd.