flickr-free-ic3d pan white

Stare Selo / Старе Село

The first wooden fortress was built in 1448 but 50 years later was destroyed by Turkish forces.

The stone walls and towers with decoration appeared in 1584-1589. Researches set up a hypothesis the fortress was a creation of the Italian architect Ambroziy Nutclauss aka Pryhilny or Przychylnym who lived in Lviv. 50 years later, knyaz Władysław Dominik started rebuilding of the fortress but Ukrainian War of Liberation from Poland prevented his plans. The fortress was captured and destroyed by cossacks. One year later Władysław Dominik repeated his attempt and finished construction in 5 years. It was the biggest fortress (above 2 hectare) of Rzeczpospolita (Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth) on Ukrainian lands. During Bohdan Hmelnitsky’s second Lviv's campaign enhanced fortifications and location in waterlogged area prevented to take force it. In 1672 the fortress withstood a siege of Turkish forces.

By XVIII the construction went down slowly, but the new owner Sieniawski could renew it.

They also transferred and placed here their arsenal from Lviv.

New centuries brought new owners Czartoryscy in 1731 and Potocki in 1809. During this time the function of construction was business- distillery, brewery, warehouse but unfortunately it “helped” the fortress turned into magnificent ruins.


9 faves
Taken on March 6, 2010