The HMS Calypso sits at her final resting place near Lewisporte, Newfoundland with her bow pointed toward the moonlight. Construction on the Calypso started in 1881 in Chatham, England and she was launched on June 7th 1883. She was 235 feet in length and displaced 2770 tons. The Caylpso was a steel corvette and one of the last to be built powered by both steam and sail. She was armed with 4 six inch guns, 12 five inch guns, 10 machine guns, 2 light guns and 2 torpedo tubes. When first commissioned she had a crew of 317. The Calypso was decommissioned in 1902 and sent to Newfoundland to act as a drill ship for the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve. She arrived in St. John's in October 1902 and was docked at the Reid Newfoundland Company wharf. A roof was built over the deck to build a drill hall. in 1917 her name was changed to the Briton and she was sold in 1920. She basically served as a mobile storage until the early 1970's when she was towed to this location and scrapped.
What a floating museum she would make if still afloat and restored.