Caumsett Farm Group, Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve, Lloyd Harbor, Long Island, New York [Explored]
These Caumsett Farm buildings were designed by Alfred Hopkins for Marshall Field III's complex at Lloyd Harbor.
In 1921, Marshall Field III - American investment banker, publisher, racehorse owner/breeder, philanthropist, and heir to the multimillion dollar Marshall Field department store fortune - purchased 1,750 acres of Lloyd Neck to create one large estate. He named the land after its Matinecock Indian name, Caumsett, which means "place by a sharp rock."
The Caumsett Barns were the crowning center piece of the utilitarian complex known as the Farm Group. This area, comprised of dairy barns, a bottling plant, garages, workshops, homes and offices, was the primary “engine” of the Marshall Field Estate. Read more about the dairy and its prized Guernsey cattle here.
Lloyd Harbor is well-known for its Gold Coast estates as immortalized in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. Prior to Caumsett belonging to the Field family, it was owned by the Lloyds who give their name to Lloyd Harbor.
In 1654, the Matinecock Native Americans sold 3,000 acres (12 km2) of what is now called Lloyd Neck to English settlers from Oyster Bay. In 1676, James Lloyd acquired the neck, which was then taken over by his son Henry. Henry Lloyd farmed the land and erected a house, which still survives in Caumsett State Park. After his death in 1763, his son Joseph built the Joseph Lloyd Manor House, which he was forced to abandon by the British during the Revolutionary War. The British built several fortifications in the neck, including Fort Franklin. Henry Lloyd IV was the last Lloyd to own the estate, in 1841. In the 1880s, it became a stop for steamboats coming from New York City, bringing tourists and wealthy New Yorkers.
See also this link for a great photo history of the Caumsett Estate.