new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Świdnica Kościół Pokoju - Church of Peace | by Smo_Q
Back to photostream

Świdnica Kościół Pokoju - Church of Peace

The Churches of Peace (Polish: Kościół Pokoju, German: Friedenskirche) in Jawor (German: Jauer) and Świdnica (German: Schweidnitz) in Silesia were named after the Peace of Westphalia of 1648 which permitted the Lutherans in the Roman Catholic parts of Silesia to build three Evangelical churches from wood, loam and straw outside the city walls, without steeples and church bells. The construction time was limited to one year. Since 2001, the two remaining churches are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

 

source en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Peace

6,595 views
16 faves
1 comment
Taken on May 28, 2010